Thursday, March 15, 2012

Perfect Italian Dinner

Unlike your everyday Brooklyn dweller, I love to cook! When my husband and I were apartment hunting I had three requirements for our future apartment: 

1) Laundry in the building,
2) Close to transportation and 
3) A kitchen I can cook in.

Luckily for me, I got all three and am happy as a clam (yum!). Our kitchen is put to good use. We cook dinner usually five times a week. For our wedding, my cousin's wife gave us a Giada de Laurentiis cookbook and the other day I decided to try one of her recipes. Of course I changed it a bit by using whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, and changing some of the measurements. It was SO GOOD. In fact, I am still thinking about it days later! 

My recipe adaptation and picture below.

I usually take more than one photo, but I couldn't wait to eat this!


Tools:
One large stainless steel pan
One pasta pot
Wooden spatula
Pasta Fork
Cutting board and knife
Colander

Ingredients:
3/4 Cup drained oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, sliced (I bought mine fresh from the deli)
2 Tablespoons of oil reserved
3/4 to 1lb spicy turkey sausage, casings removed (I used Shadybrook farms - you will want to get a kind that is not precooked)
1 9oz. package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted by placing in colander and running under cold water (it is very important that you use frozen and not fresh or marinated)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1.5 Cups chicken broth
3/4 Cups dry white wine (I used a lovely Chardonnay)
8oz. whole wheat pasta (I like De Cecco)
1/2 Cup shredded Parmesean
1/3 Cup chopped fresh Basil leaves
1/4 Cup chopped fresh Italian Parsely leaves
8oz. fresh mozzarella cubed
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Put salted water on to boil for pasta
Heat oil in a large stainless steel skillet on med-hi heat
Add sausages and break up with a wooden spatula into small pieces while cooking until brown
Transfer sausages to a covered bowl
Add artichokes and garlic to the same pan on medium heat until garlic is tender
Add broth, wine, and sun dried tomatoes
Reduce over med-hi heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add pasta to water and cook al dente according to package directions
Drain pasta and add pasta, sausage, and herbs to the pan and toss until sauce is absorbed by pasta
Add mozzarella cubes if desired, season with S+P to taste
Serve and enjoy!
I found this made about three servings (two of which my husband ate)

The original recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment